Supplies needed: Smooth Metal Base, Seed words, Hammer, Tape
- Find smooth metal surface
- Tape down key on surface to prevent it from sliding
- Remove keys from key ring
- Use the punch jig, align slot on bottom & Use hammer to punch each letter into key
- Each word must match the # on the key
- Only punch in the first 4 letters of the word (go here to understand more)
- Repeat steps 2-3 for the remainder of the keys
- Double check to make sure all of the words match the corresponding number in the 24 word sequence
- Assemble keys on keyring in order
- Using hard flat and smooth metal base is critical
- Make sure the letters are the right direction before stamping
- Go slow and make sure punch is lined and plumb up before hitting
- Smooth surface is critical to prevent scratching and marks
- Here is a list of the BIP39 word list
A seed phrase, seed recovery phrase or backup seed phrase is a list of words which store all the information needed to recover your hardware/software wallet using BIP39. The software will typically generate a seed phrase and instruct the user to write it down. If the user's computer breaks or their hard drive becomes corrupted, they can download the same wallet software again and use the metal backup to get their crypto assets back.
Anybody else who discovers the phrase can steal the crypto assets, so it must be kept safe like jewels or cash. For example, it must not be typed into any website.
Seed phrases are an excellent way of backing up and storing your crypto assets and so they are used by almost all well-regarded wallets.